Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Other Challenge

Conditioning for endurance riding isn't just about the horse. The rider needs to be fit, as well. The comparative fitness levels of endurance riders has been broken down as follows: A rider who completes 50 mile endurance rides is comparable in fitness to a marathon runner; a rider who completes 100 mile endurance rides is comparable in fitness to an ultramarathon runner. I'm not sure how accurate this assessment is. After all, I complete 50 mile endurance rides and I doubt very much I'd do well in a marathon. I'm pretty sure I could finish, but I'd be waaaaaaay out in back, so far behind that everybody else would've gone home before I crossed the finish line.

The fitness level of the rider is just as vital as the fitness of the horse. Non-riders often assume that the rider is just that – along for the ride. But horseback riding – particularly at endurance levels – is more akin to bicycling. Even that is not quite true. While riding a horse, the rider is engaged at all times. Meaning I'm always actively riding my horse. This would be like always actively pedaling a bicycle. On a bicycle, when the rider is headed downhill, the rider is still engaged, but not at nearly the level as when the rider is going uphill. I've a friend who used to do 100 mile rides on her bicycle. She now does endurance. She says that there is simply no comparison; the bicycle is easier. Of course, the bicycle doesn't spook or need a drink, either.

The other side of this is the amount of weight the horse should be carrying. The optimal weight bearing capacity of horses is 20 to 25% of the horse's body weight. Most horses can do more, and there have been cases of endurance horses carrying as much as 33% of their body weight. However, I'm not a fan of this as a practice. So my goal is to see that Hoss isn't carrying more than 25% of his body weight. I'd like to get down to 20% of his body weight. There is a study that suggests that horse/rider teams with a combined weight over 1200 pounds have a significantly reduced completion rate, especially in 100 mile rides. So the other side of the goal is to keep us as far under a combined weight of 1200 pounds as possible.

Hoss weighs about 900 pounds. I weigh in at the "heavyweight" division. The heavyweight division is rider with tack weighing over 211 pounds. My saddle weighs 36 pounds. This puts us dangerously close to that 1200 pound limit. Hoss is unlikely to get any smaller, and no matter how much I exercise it, my saddle isn't getting any lighter. This means I have to lose weight! In order to be at that 25% mark, I need to lose 13 pounds.

Often people who know me are surprised to learn that I am overweight. They look at me and say it's not possible. Trust me; I'm overweight. I could stand to lose a good 40 or more pounds. Not only would this keep our combined weight under the 1200 pound limit, it would improve my health and my riding.

There is something incredibly unjust about the universe in that some riders cannot get fit enough for the sport of endurance simply by riding. Oh, I hear from plenty of people who do nothing more than ride and care for their horses to stay fit. These people should watch their backs, in order that they do not end up being bludgeoned by people (like me!) who can't stay or get fit so easily. That I can't get fit enough for endurance just by riding is a cross I have to bear. It is quite clear that I will neither get fit enough, nor lose enough weight simply by riding the hair off my horse, for my sport. Not only do I need to ride Hoss regularly to get him fit, I have to work out like a mad thing to get me fit.

In pursuit of this goal, I have joined our local YMCA. It's a great place to be a gym rat; I highly recommend it. I've taken several classes, and use the work out machines as often as I can. Between that and my daily walks, I'm working out up to three hours per day. That's not including riding or animal care. So far, I haven't lost any weight, but I have received comments that I look better. I observed that I'm probably just rearranging it!

I know my fitness level has improved since I started riding Hoss in endurance rides in January. After the January ride, my daughter, her friend, and I all camped Saturday night, packed up on Sunday morning, and headed toward home. We were all feeling pretty good. Until, that is, we stopped for drinks. I parked the truck and we all piled out of the truck. Okay, we tried to pile out. We all discovered that we could barely walk! I was reduced to falling out of the truck and hoping that I could keep my feet underneath me. Somehow we managed to unload and take care of the horses when we got home.

At the next ride, in April, I rode 55 miles on Saturday and once again camped overnight, this time with my husband who did not ride. Sunday morning I arose and took care of Hoss, went back to bed for a couple more hours, then helped my husband break down camp. After, of course, he cooked me a huge breakfast! The best part of having my husband at a ride is that I actually eat. On the way home, when we stopped, I braced myself for a repeat of the fallout from January's ride. Much to my pleasant surprise, I felt fine! I was tired, but okay. I even worked on the Monday following, something I could never have down four months earlier.

In June I did yet another 50 mile ride. It was very close to home, so I packed up and left for home a little over an hour after completing. I wouldn't have left had the ride home been longer than an hour strictly for the safety of my horse. On Sunday morning, I woke up feeling very good. I walked my dogs and went to church. I was even able to climb the stairs into the choir loft without feeling like my legs would fall off.

This is improvement. It's encouraging. Now, if I can only drop the extra weight….

No comments:

Post a Comment