Saturday, August 28, 2010

Conditioning Ride 8-25-2010 or We’re Not Lost; I Just Don’t Know Where We Are!

RHR: 36

HR on return: 80

HR at 10 min: 56

Distance: 19 miles

Average speed: 4.5mph

Trail: Moderate to Challenging

I trailered out to Cuyamaca Rancho State Park once again, with the intention of riding 25 miles of the trail used for the 50 mile endurance ride in June. I recall that, during the ride, I felt like we were going the wrong way. Of course I was wrong! The result though, is that I missed the trail somewhere, and Hoss and I were wandering about somewhat aimlessly.

Confident that no matter what happened I'd be able to get us back to the trailer (a GPS unit is a wonderful thing), I just continued forging ahead in hopes of coming across the trail I'd so obviously missed. The trails we were on were rocky, steep, and not entirely clear. At one point, there was a half-fallen tree across the trail. Hoss was utterly confident that he could walk right under it. Sure, he could have, but I wouldn't have made it! I would have had to duck on foot. I did get him to negotiate by it, even though it looked to him like a crappy way to go. I do tend to prefer to stay on the horse.

We eventually came across a rusty old cowboy gate, which I got us through and continued on. Well, now we were out of the park and on US Forest Service land! The trail I could see didn't appear to head in a direction I ultimately wanted to go, so I headed Hoss on down the dirt road in hopes that we'd come across a trail that would take us back into the park. This was not to be. We ultimately came across a sign in red letters that read, "No Trespassing or Hunting." I would think that "No Trespassing" would cover both things, since one would be required to trespass in order to hunt, but that's evidently not the case. Not being in any desire to run across some angry land owner with a shot gun, I turned Hoss around and we headed back the way we had come.

At this point it was becoming obvious that Hoss was thirsty. I knew there was a spring back in the park that we had passed, so I figured he'd be able to drink there. By the time we got within four miles, Hoss was going very slow, and I didn't blame him. It was hot, and he was clearly in need of water. I just allowed him to walk, even though he'd dropped to 2.5mph. At one point, at a mile to the spring, I dismounted to lead him, but that was not better. I figured he'd be able to walk faster if I led, but it was sort of like trying to drag him. I just can't walk that slow! So I just rode him the rest of the way with the reins resting on his neck.

At the spring, about 13 miles into the ride, I led him over to the water, which is looked at, sniffed, and looked at me, saying, "I ain't drinking that!" I pumped a little fresh, and was thirsty enough myself to drink some, despite the warning that it was for "livestock only." If it's not good enough for me, it's not good enough for my horse! The water was sulphurous and nasty, so I don't really blame Hoss for not wanting to drink it, but, he's gonna have to learn that sometimes you have to drink what's available.

I gave Hoss about five minutes to rest and hopefully decide to drink. While he never drank, the five minute rest did help. I had dropped his bit out of his mouth in the hopes of encouraging him to drink. He was obviously pretty hot at this point, and I didn't think I really needed the bit, and didn't really want to put it back in his mouth at that point. So I attached my reins to his halter rings and mounted up. We still had a good six miles to go. While I wanted to get back, I didn't want to make my horse sick, either. So we primarily walked. A few times he picked up the trot, and I just let him do so for as long as he cared to.

When we finally got back to the trailer, I decided to take him under the bridge where the river runs. I wasn't entirely sure how much water was left in the trailer tank, and was concerned that it would be hot. Also, he's been showing some disdain for drinking from the little bucket I have at the trailer. At the river, he drank nicely, and I gave him a good five minutes to drink and rest. Then we went back to the trailer.

I was alarmed when I took his return heart rate, and he was at 80bpm. Especially for a horse that's just walked five or more miles, that's fast! I'm sure it was because he was dehydrated and hot. I filled the bucket from the trailer tank and found that the water was, indeed, hot. Additionally, there was just enough to fill the bucket a little over half. That's not enough water, even if he would have drank it. So I sponged him with it to get the sweat off of him.

At ten minutes, Hoss's heart rate had dropped to 56. That's a good recovery considering the conditions. I do not want to experience his heart rate at 80 after walking that long ever again! When I loaded him in the trailer, he did poop, and it was normal in appearance, so I was somewhat relieved by that. He also tucked right in to the hay in the trailer. By the time we got home, it was clear he was none the worse for the wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment