Monday, August 9, 2010

I Have a Goal

As you may have guessed, my goal is Tevis 2013.  For those who haven't a clue what that is, Tevis is the popular name of the endurance ride of endurance rides, the Western States 100 Miles 1 Day ride. This ride is frequently referred to as "Tevis" as a reference to the Tevis Cup, which is awarded to the horse and rider team coming in first place.  The Western States 100 Miles 1 Day is the granddaddy of endurance.  It is the first endurance ride, inaugurated in 1955, 17 years before the American Endurance Ride Conference was established.

A little about me.  I have been riding limited distance and endurance with the AERC for about 6 years, with a year off during which I didn't have a horse to ride.  I live in Southern California.

A little about the horse.  My horse is a 6 year old Mustang named Hoss (registered with AERC as NRR Team 91 Hoss).  He so far has done very well.  We have 80 limited distance miles and 155 endurance miles.  Hoss is a fantastic horse with sense and grit.  Never has he finished a ride looking anything less than great.  We're not fast, finishing in the lower third of riders, but that's okay.  Slow is good for him, and I'm just fine with taking my time!  Below is Hoss and me at the Git-R-Done ride in April.

I hope to use this blog to chart our progress and share the lessons we learn, the rides we finish, and the grand, sometimes frustrating, often funny, things we encounter on the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment