Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Conditioning Ride 8-10-10

RHR 36 (RHR = Resting Heart Rate, taken before saddling)

HR on return 68 (HR = Heart Rate)
HR 8 min 48 (This is Heart Rate taken at 8minutes after our return)
Distance: 13 miles
Avg Speed:  5mph
Time: 2.5 hours
It was a nice day for a ride.  The sun was out, nary a cloud in the sky, and a lovely off-shore breeze that kept the temperature down in the "pleasant" range.  We trailered out to the steel bridge and headed out on trail a little before 2pm.  We pushed pretty hard even though we only got a 5mph average.  For the terrain, that’s pretty good.  I took Hoss up some pretty tough trails and asked him to trot or canter some steep hills.  These trails are rocky and technical.
I was most pleased to note that Hoss spent the entire ride with his ears pricked forward and had a willing attitude.  He gave me very few spooks, which I’m beginning to think he uses to try to go faster.
When we arrived back at the trailer, Hoss wasn’t interested in water.  I think he’s decided he doesn’t really like sticking his head in that little bucket if he doesn’t have to.  So, he’s thinking I’ll be taking him home, where he can drink from the stock tank in the pasture.  Well, that didn’t happen today.  He spent an extra hour in the trailer parked outside the YMCA while I did a core training class.  I left him a bucket of water, but he didn’t drink.  It’s entirely possible that he’s reached a point where he doesn’t need to drink as often as I think he should.  He didn't even drink at the river crossing, where he'll usually join the dogs in a quick drink. But, when I checked his mucous membranes and jugular refill and skin tent, it was clear he wasn't dehydrated, despite having sweated quite a bit.

 I was pleased with Hoss's recovery today.  We came in pretty hot, didn't slow down from a trot until we were within a half mile of the trailer.  He came in to the trailer with a heart rate of 68. I usually aim to take his heart rate at 10 minutes after the first one taken when I get off at the trailer, but I had a class I wanted to get to across the street, so I took it again at 8 minutes.  He'd dropped from 68 to 48 in 8 minutes.  That, I must say, is really good!  At endurance rides, depending on the vet, criteria for the horse's heart rate can be anywhere from 56bpm to 64bpm. Of course, at an endurance ride, I want him to come in to the vet check at or below the criteria.

All in all, a good ride.  I would've liked to get a faster average, but I knew going in that the trails I chose were likely to prevent us from getting it.  I'm aiming for 6mph on average for this next year.  Our training average to now has been 5.5 mph.  For Tevis, we will need to be up to 7mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment