Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Last Ride of Team Fluffy

Team Fluffy!

Yesterday I took Mac, Ash, and Jazz out for one last Team Fluffy ride. Jazz is going home with her mom! After nearly a year, Jazz's mom is back from Afghanistan and settled in and ready for her dog.

I didn't bother to take data for this ride. This was more of a leisure ride than anything. Besides, Hoss has developed some evil looking girth galls, and I didn't want to feel like we needed to push anything. I rode in my dressage saddle in the hopes the girth on it wouldn't further irritate the galls. I couldn't get the girth to stay back off the galls, but I was able to grease them up well enough to prevent further damage.

We went to Hollenbeck Canyon for this last ride. It was a foggy morning, which I hadn't realized when we left. There was no fog up on the mountain, and I hadn't seen fog lower down on our walk, so I was caught by surprise when, driving down the hill, I saw the wall of fog. I was a little apprehensive about riding in the fog. Coyotes tend to be more active under these conditions, and just a few days ago, Team Fluffy took off after a coyote on a morning walk. If they saw one while on a ride, they were already fired up from chasing the other one and were more likely to take off uncontrollably. I finally put my misgivings aside and just went for it. I know I can keep a keen eye out for coyotes. If they took off, I'd just have to hope they stayed together and wouldn't get beyond a fence I couldn't get Hoss around to follow.

Despite his girth galls, Hoss was perfectly happy to get going. The galls don't seem to really bother him. I've been treating them daily and he doesn't flinch or try to move away when I wash them. I just walk up to him in the pasture and take care of it.

Once we got on the trails proper, Hoss picked up a nice trot. I kept him slower than usual to try to keep the galls from getting rubbed further on the hilly terrain.

Team Fluffy were their usual exuberant selves. They ran all over looking for things to chase and people to greet. There weren't any other horses on the trail, but several mountain bikers and hikers were out. I really think I need to put bells on my saddle so hikers can hear me coming. Sometimes they're looking around because the dogs have run up to them and appear to be alone!

Jazz coming up to the single track -- always looks down as soon as I snap a shot!
We walked most of the single track trail, then took up the trot up the hill and ran up the last part. Team Fluffy ran along close on our heels. We made the turn down at the top of the hill and began our descent.

Several mountain bikers were resting on the side of the trail. Hoss was his usual friendly self, trying to greet everybody. The dogs wanted to make friends, too, but were also hot enough to want to get to the nice shady spot with the creek running through it.

Shortly before we made it to the shady spot, the mountain bikers caught up to us. I turned Hoss off the trail to let them by. The dogs were less forgiving. I had to call Ash several times before he got far enough off the trail to let the mountain bikers pass!

Ash and Jazz get a good drink
We stopped at the creek and let the dogs get a good drink and cool off. Being a cooler day than we've had for some time, it didn't take them nearly so long to recover as it has in the last few weeks.

At the flat, Hoss wanted a good run, so I let him go and we cantered for some time. The dogs were lively and kept up well. Since I didn't want to overuse Hoss with the girth galls, I kept him to a trot or a walk for most of the rest of the flat. Hoss wanted to move out more, and I let him several times, but tried not to do a lot of downhill trotting. I was noticing he felt very slightly off at the very end of his stride on his right front. The galls on that side are worse than on the left, so I think he was hitting them at the end of his stride, creating a slight limp.

We finished our ride well. Team Fluffy flopped around the truck, tired and happy. Of course they had no idea Jazz's mom was coming to get her, only that they had another great ride!

Today, Jazz's mom arrived to pick her up. Jazz was absolutely beside herself when she saw her mom. There is no doubt she recognized her owner and was excited to see her.

Jazz and her Mom reunite
We had some hamburgers and lovely macaroni and cheese and brownies Jazz's mom brought (with the severely restricted diet I find myself on for my gall bladder, macaroni and cheese sounds so good). We had a lovely visit. I put a yellow ribbon around Jazz's neck and got some pictures of her and her mom before they left.

Jazz's mom was incredibly grateful for our care of her dog while she was gone. All I can say is, we were glad to do it, and happy to be able to provide the service for a deployed soldier. My husband was particularly happy to have provided the service. While he was in the Navy, he had been forced several times to give up pets because he couldn't find someone to care for them while he was gone. To enable a soldier to keep her pet despite deployment was important to him.

I will miss Jazz, and I am glad she is with her mom again. She was a pleasure to have around. I'm hoping we get to see her frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment