Sunday, September 4, 2011

Conditioning Ride 9-4-2011





HRR: 52

HR10Min: 40

Distance: 9.6miles

Avg Spd: 3.5mph

Time 3 hours

I loaded up the dogs and the horses with the original intent of going to Hollenbeck Canyon for a quick ride before church. I was feeling a little tense about it for a couple of reasons. One, I knew I was pushing it time-wise in order to make it to church, and two, the last several times we've been out there, we've had encounters with coyotes. So, before we had driven very far, I decided we were going to the steel bridge, and I was skipping church.

As we passed the staging area for Hollenbeck Canyon, I realized I had made the right choice. Five or six horse trailers were parked there, and eight or ten horses and riders were preparing to head out on the trail. With Jazz having acquired a fear of strange horses, Hollenbeck would have been a bad place for us to go today. I certainly did not want to spend half my ride trying to control a terrified dog!

Some of the early part of the trail
We set out at the steel bridge at about 9:30am in the beginnings of what would be a hot, humid day. I had already decided it would be a largely walking trail ride (as evidenced by our low average speed) since I still haven't had time to get shoes on Hoss's hind feet. The trails are hard and rocky, and Hoss not nearly so inured to trail conditions to do this area fast without hoof protection.

More off across the river
Hoss bobbled a few times, primarily on his left front foot. I even stepped off at one point to check his feet for stones, but found nothing. We encountered bicyclists who stopped to let us pass. I stopped a moment to speak with them, at which point Hoss decided this was his chance to get attention from strangers and poked his head into one guy's hands. At least we encounter nice people on the trail!

Another bicyclist we passed later on told me he had chased off a coyote he saw on the trail, having passed us earlier and knowing I had the dogs with me. Because of the heat, the dogs were sticking pretty close to me, so I was pretty confident they'd be fine.

We worked our way up the switchbacks and continued on our way. All along the way I felt Hoss was sandbagging me. He just plugged along slowly. It felt like he was crawling! The spurs helped, but the crop sped him up a little more reliably. I just wanted him to walk at a normal pace! Our average is pretty good for a walking ride, but I'd like to see him do better. I happen to know he can walk a good deal faster than he was today!

Looking out across the reservoir
We made it up the hill to the gazebo and took a break for five minutes to let the dogs cool off. I got off Hoss. My right hip has started to give me trouble. I suspect it's largely because of the improved riding position I'm it. It's a better position for riding and communicating with the horse, but my hip doesn't like it. It may take me some time to get the right muscles fitted up for this position. In the mean time, I'll be doing more targeted hip, thigh, and butt exercises to help build it up.

After our stop, we headed back toward the trailer. Suddenly, Hoss could walk at a more normal speed! Yup, he'd been sandbagging me. Rotten horse. I don't know what he's got against this particular trail area. It's not like it's our first time out there. Somehow it seems it's just his least favorite place to go.

The "flat road"
The dogs were getting pretty desperately thirsty by the time we got back to the flat road. Ash started getting far ahead. I think he realized we were getting close to water. I called the dogs back several times to keep them from getting too far ahead. We finally made it to the river crossing where the dogs stopped for a much needed drink, and Hoss pushed through on his way to the road and good run. I had to pull Hoss up to give the dogs time for a drink.

Once the dogs were done with their drink – as evidenced by Jazz coming out of the river and rolling in the sand – I let Hoss head up the trail. He got pretty excited about the idea of running. I got him on the road, and let him loose. We got a good run in about half the way back to the bridge and walked and trotted the rest of the way.

After we crossed the bridge and were well on our way back to the trailer, I saw three horses coming toward us. I decided to hop off Hoss and get hold of Jazz. She was going to freak out and run away if I didn't. I squatted down beside the trail with her and helped her deal with the strange horses. She wasn't thrilled about it, but she got through it.

We rode the rest of the way back to the trailer. Hoss was dripping with sweat from the heat. During the last half mile or so, I noticed the sun felt particularly scalding against my shoulder. I think we were all glad the ride was over, but happy we'd gone and done it.

Hoss's heart rate was, not unexpectedly, low when we got back to the trailer. We'd walked, so it better be low! We drove home with just enough time for me to have a little lunch then head out to the airport to pick up my husband.

When we got home, I didn't see our littlest dog, Tanner anywhere. I wasn't worried about him. It's not unusual for him to be hiding out in the house on a hot day. I heated up a piece of leftover pizza and sat down to eat. That should've had Tanner parked right at my feet, but still he wasn't there. It got to be time to leave, and I was starting to get pretty worried about where Tanner could be. I walked around the house, calling and looking for him, but didn't find him. I walked outside and called him some more. Suddenly, I realized where he must be. I walked over to the trailer and opened the gate. Sure enough, there was Tanner. He'd hopped into the trailer when I unloaded Hoss, looking for yummy bits of horse poo to eat.

After letting Tanner out of the trailer, I headed out to finish my day. Hoss was finishing his breakfast and took a very long drink from the fresh water I'd given him when we got home. Yet another good ride day.

No comments:

Post a Comment