Friday, March 22, 2013

2013 Eastern Mojave Scenic, Day 2

I hadn't made the ride meeting the prior night, running around to get myself propane, so I went off looking to get my ride map in the morning before we left. Once that was taken care of, I got Hoss ready and we hit the trail.

If anything Hoss was quite a bit more enthusiastic for Day 2 than he had been on Day 1. I even had to get after him for trying to bolt after other horses. I do expect him to control himself, no matter how excited and energetic he feels.

We got out and got into our groove pretty well. Still not having any hay, I was continuing to let Hoss graze as possible. By this time I was pretty desperate. I had decided if I couldn't find something for him I was going to have to cut the weekend short and take him home.

The wind was pretty strong and the weather cool, so Hoss was happy to go. I had to hold him back in the rocks, and a few times we really got into it when he wanted to bolt.

After the vet check, we were still going at a relatively sedate pace, grazing as we could, and just taking our time. I rode for a time with Heidi Helly, and she allowed as she could trade me some hay. There was alfalfa/orchard hay available for sale in camp, which Hoss cannot have. Heidi would trade me some of that for some alfalfa and bermuda. That was a relief. Hoss would have hay!

As the day wore on, the cloud cover rolled in. Hoss really had his frisky on, and we finished in decent time.

After I took care of Hoss, I went and bought a 70 lb bale of hay. I traded with Heidi for hay he could have. It still left me with less hay than he really needed, but I felt I could at least jolly him through the rest of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment