Friday, January 25, 2013

2012 Desert Gold Day 1, 55 miles

Once again, we arrived late to ride camp on Thursday. This ride was on Thanksgiving weekend, and I had made Thanksgiving dinner for myself and my mother, her roommate, and a family friend on Wednesday night. I was understandably tired on Thursday morning and didn't get out until late. It didn't help that I severely underestimated how long it would take us to drive there.

I got camp set up and picked up my rider packet and arranged to vet Hoss in the morning. The weather was rather warm and humid. I began to wonder if I'd made a mistake not clipping Hoss to improve his "air conditioning."

I had brought along my new "toy," a CounterROAM video camera. I had put a mount on the side of my helmet so I could take video as I go. I put it and my iPod in the truck to charge.

In the morning I walked Hoss up to the vet after saddling him up. He passed easily enough. This particular vet always gives him low scores on impulsion and gait. I understand her philosophy -- that, if Horse A deserves an "A," then Horse B, whose movement is not as clean, deserves a "B" -- but I must admit to preferring the philosophy of vets who feel a horse should be judged on his own merits, rather than compared to others.

This ride was a Pioneer, 155 miles over three days, but also an FEI (international) ride. The second and third days were an opportunity for international riders to get miles. Evidently the FEI considers the livestock paint which is typically used to mark horses with the riders' numbers to be unreliable. So Hoss was marked with a black Magic Marker. I found this humorous, as the number, in livestock paint, from Lead Follow was still on his butt from a week before.

The two vet checks were in the same location, so I set up a bag with bran and electrolytes and some lunch for me. I was told there would be plenty of hay, so I didn't bother sending any. I had my saddle set up, but I had forgotten two of my water bottles. I had two with me, so I figured I would be okay. The weather was nice but quite humid. It got rather hot over the course of the day.

We set out on the trail. Hoss was pretty good, but wanted to get moving right away. We didn't have to fight too long, though. Once we'd gotten up the hill, I was able to allow him to pick up the pace and still have his attention.

I knew from driving in the previous night that we were close to the Laguna Seca Raceway Park. I didn't realize how close until we were riding along the trail and came to the back side of the track. It was pretty cool. My parents had their first date at the race track in 1959.


After passing the track, we continued on around the trail. The trails were quite nice, mostly road-type trails. A few single tracks were used, but it was largely over the wider roads. There was a lot of water placed on the trail, which was good, since it was so hot and humid.

We came in to the vet check in good time. Because this was an FEI event as well as AERC, even though this day was not FEI the check was set up as if it was. Which meant we were funneled in to pulse down and straight to the vet. I used to be more resistant to this, when Hoss would pulse down but not really stay down until he had had a chance to eat and rest. These days it's not such a big deal. He pulses right down and stays down, and he's gotten more accustomed to going straight to the vet. There is something to be said for it, as it gets it out of the way. Waiting until later means pulling Hoss off his food or rousing him from a nap.


The hold was 45 minutes. We found our crew bag and set up to wait. I found a flake of alfalfa hay for Hoss and got his bran mash set up.

During the first loop I had forgotten to give Hoss his first dose of electrolyte. So it was even more important that he eat his bran mash at the check. Of course, this did mean I had a spare tube if he didn't finish the mash.

While we were waiting, I heard the distinctive sound of rapid hoofbeats on pavement. Initially I thought someone had ridden out of the the vet check. It turned out someone's horse had decided to split for camp while she was off getting something to eat! Fortunately ride management had an ATV at the vet check and was able to chase the horse down and return him.


After our hold we got back on the trail for the second loop. Hoss was feeling chipper enough, but it was hot! I really did not push him particularly hard due to the heat and humidity. The trail also included quite a few hills and at least one hard climb. We were certainly not up to doing our normal pace under those conditions!

Back at the vet check for our second hold, Hoss once again pulsed down quickly and well and vetted right through. We then went back to the spot we'd set up earlier. There was considerably less hay about, but enough to get by for another 45 minute hold.


By this time I had run through all my water. After setting Hoss up, I went in search of water. Ride management had provided hot chocolate, and Cup O'Soups, and the hot water to go with such. But they hadn't brought rider water. Just plan water was not available. And, of course, I couldn't have either the soup or the hot chocolate. So I ate my lunch and sucked it up. It wasn't far to the finish, and I had brought along plenty of water.

Again on the trail, Hoss was starting to flag a bit despite the dropping temperatures. He perked up a bit when we were joined by other horses for the rest of the way back to camp, but still was not quite his usual self. He had ended up only having two doses of electrolytes over the course of the day.

We arrived back at camp and the finish at about 5:30, finishing in just under 9 hours. Considering the conditions, and it being a 55 mile ride, I couldn't complain.


This is the video of our ride. The pictures are the last stills I've taken since getting the video camera, and thus represent the last stills I will post with my blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment