Monday, December 26, 2011

Hoss and DC Go Around the Neighborhood


I was really stressed making sure I had everything I needed in order to get through the ride. I was driving myself hard in order to get ready to go. Not only did I need to pack everything, I wanted to get the blog caught up. On top of that, I had received my 500 mile patch and wanted to get it on my jacket before we left.

So I was really happy when I'd gotten everything packed and loaded and still had time to get in a quick ride. I could really only ride around the neighborhood with the time I had, so I decided DC needed to go along and start learning how to be ponied.

DC is not a fan of being introduced to new things. When I saddled Hoss, put the long lead rope on her, and mounted up, she immediately started looking stubborn and unwilling. It took a little doing, but I was able to get her going.

For much of the ride, DC was hanging back. I felt like I was taking my horse for a drag. Several times I stopped Hoss, backed him up, and tapped DC on the back to get her moving again. I tried to keep after her with the whip to keep her keeping up properly, but boy, she did not want to do this.

Hoss, on the other hand, was a true handful. He thinks we should get to go fast riding around the neighborhood. I asked Hoss for a trot, only to be held up by DC refusing to move any faster than she already was. I stopped Hoss, got her caught up, and used the whip to encourage her into a trot.
By the time we turned around for home, DC had started to get the idea. She still wasn't thrilled with the plan, but she was doing better. Now I more often had to slow her down.

It was rather challenge-round. Hoss wanted to go fast, DC wanted to just plant her feet and tell me "no."
When we got back, I tied both horses to the trailer and got Hoss untacked. 

Since Hoss needed his feet trimmed, I decided to hit DC's feet, too. She was a little bit of a snot, but when she realized the farrier's horse gets her ass kicked if she misbehaves, she suddenly knew how to stand quietly to have her feet done.

I got Hoss's feet trimmed and in good shape before giving him a much-needed bath. In the morning I'll brush him and apply Laser Sheen to keep him clean.

Everything is packed and loaded to leave for Death Valley in the morning. All we need is the horse and me. Well, and the pillows and whatever I'm bringing along in my tiny cooler. My husband will have both of the bigger coolers. I'm sure I've forgotten something. I know I'd better get the headlamps packed in the morning; they're a last minute item because I need them to feed in the morning.

Here's hoping I haven't forgotten, and won't forget, anything important!

No comments:

Post a Comment