Monday, October 31, 2011

Driving to Moab



I had everything loaded and ready to go by 9:00am on Tuesday morning. Before I hooked up to the trailer, I decided I'd check the oil and fluids. I'm glad I did. I pulled the oil dipstick to find the oil level not only low, but dangerously low. I called my mechanics for advice and was told to bring it right in. Well, there went my plans for an early start!

The mechanics were concerned my truck might be leaking oil, and wanted to do an oil change before I left in any case. They inspected it and serviced it and had me on my way in about forty-five minutes. Of course, the shop is twenty-five miles from home, so it still cost me two hours to get it all done.

I got home and got the trailer hooked up. Hoss was loaded by 11:15am. The delay of our start wasn't huge, but longer than I would have liked. I really should have worked harder to get the truck in for service last week.

We struck out and made our way across the 8 east to Arizona and had our first rest stop in Yuma. It hadn't been four hours yet, but I had forgotten to top off the truck's fuel before I went back up the mountain and it needed fueling. I filled the tank, grabbed a Subway sandwich, and parked the trailer around the back side of the truck stop. The parking lot was paved rather than dirt. I found a parking space where I could tie Hoss to the trailer in such a way as he didn't have to deal with rigs backing in right next to him. They'd be backing in on the other side of the trailer from him, but they wouldn't be heading straight for him. I tied him to the trailer, gave him a bucket of water, and put his hay next to him. He wasn't terribly interested in food or water. He was way too fascinated by the trucks. He's never been that close to them. I sat in a chair and read while I ate my sandwich and kept an eye on Hoss. After an hour, I loaded him back up and we continued on our way.

The rest stops in Arizona have posted big signs saying "Unloading Livestock Prohibited." I thought about doing it anyway and arguing to anyone giving me a problem about it that he was a horse, not "livestock," but figured that probably wouldn't work, so I refrained from using the rest stops to unload in. This left truck stops. We made our next stop at a place near Prescott, Arizona. This one was kind of nice. I was able to get to a space with a street lamp and park so Hoss was protected and the rigs weren't going right by us at all. I got Hoss out and gave him a bran mash and water, then laid down in the bed I'd made for myself in the back seat of the truck.

I knew I needed to get a little rest, but my brain wouldn't shut down enough for me to sleep. I made myself keep my eyes closed for half an hour, then got up and walked Hoss around for a few minutes. I loaded him back up, then got gas and something to eat.

A couple hours later, I was tired, and it was clear I had to sleep and right now. Unfortunately by this point I was on back country highways with very little in the way of services. I finally managed to find a dirt lot next to a gas station with a bunch of rigs parked in it and was able to park there. I didn't want to unload Hoss and leave him tied to the trailer while I slept in a place where he'd end up dealing with a lot of traffic. I left him in the trailer, but gave him a bucket of water and set up a pan of beet pulp to soak. I slept a good four hours, despite being squished in the back seat of the truck.

When I was ready to hit the road again, I traded out the bucket of water for the pan of beet pulp and we got back on the road. I figured it wouldn't be long until I found a place to let Hoss out to stretch his legs. I couldn't have been more incorrect. I should have gotten him out before we headed back out again. We drove the rest of the way through Arizona and up into Utah before I found a place I could unload.

Driving through Arizona, in the city of Kayenta, I saw wild horses. In the city. A pair of bachelor stallions was grazing near a school, and a band of mares and youngsters was hanging out near the street by some homes. I wasn't able to get pictures. I couldn't get stopped and the pictures I did take came out blurry because I was trying to take them out of side windows instead of the windshield. As we drove on, I saw many more wild horses. There was one that had died a little ways off the highway. I don't know what it died of, but it didn't appear to have been hit by a truck. I even saw a couple of wild burros.

Driving into Utah, I saw some of the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever been through that particular part of Utah. I know I've been there before, just not that area. Mostly I've visited the Four Corners area with my family, exploring the old Anasazi sites. We drove through part of Monument Valley. I took a bunch of pictures.

At one little town, I had to cross this teeny, narrow little bridge that looked more likely to dump us in the river than get us across it. I slowed way down to make sure there was no traffic coming the other way, as we'd take up most of the bridge all by ourselves. We crossed without incident but it sure made me nervous!

It wasn't until we were less than a hundred miles from ride camp that I found a place to unload Hoss in Montecito. I pulled into the big parking lot, found a space toward the back, and got him out. While we had been driving, I had begun to suspect the rain I was seeing was giving way to snow flurries. When I unloaded Hoss, I was sure. I immediately put his mid-weight blanket on before giving him more water and another bran mash. I cleaned out the trailer while he was out.

It wasn't much further to the turn off to ride camp. We had started encountering rain just outside Gila Bend, Arizona. The last time I'd looked at a weather forecast, it looked like the weather at Moab was going to be great, so I wasn't worried. Maybe I should've been. When I made the final turn off the paved road toward ride camp, I was stopped by a gentleman in a truck and asked to park in another campground. The road had become nearly impassable, and they were hoping it would improve some soon.

I parked in the campground and set Hoss up. I figured we weren't likely to be there terribly long before we were either moved to camp or camp moved (mostly) to us. I really didn't want to set up my tent and stuff, not wanting to do that twice. I was tired, though, so I crawled into the back seat and went to sleep.

After I'd been there a couple hours, the guy who'd stopped me tapped on my window and offered me options. I could either stay where I was until tomorrow, or he could haul Hoss and the trailer to camp while I followed. The issue at this point was the lack of four wheel drive on my truck. Well, I'm from Southern California. Where I come from the only people who really need four wheel drive are people who deliberately take their cars off-roading. We made it back to camp without incident. I probably could have made it myself, but it would have been a bit of a thrill in one area. I was just as glad for the assist, although I will admit it was very odd to be following my trailer with my horse in it.

At camp I found the nice ladies I was to camp with. I will be hauling a horse back to California that one of these ladies is selling. It was very cold, and the weather forecast was now calling for temperatures to drop to the 20s. I was very grateful to take up the offer to sleep in the living quarters trailer rather than in my tent!

Hoss was happy to be near horses again. He settled right down and started eating well. He vetted through just fine, although he was a bit silly. This was the longest haul he's ever done. I think he handled it well. In the morning we'll be riding with one of the ladies we're camping with and her young horse. Our plan is to pretty much be last.

I'm already happy I decided to do this particular ride.

*Don't ask where I took the pictures.  I don't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment