Friday, August 19, 2011

Conditioning Ride 8-19-2011

Miles: 7.8

Avg Spd: 4.5mph

Time: 1 hour, 54 min

HRR: 56

HR10Min: 40

Despite the heat (upper 90s/low 100s), I decided to take Hoss and Team Fluffy out to Hollenbeck Canyon for a good bit of exercise. Hoss and I had a lesson scheduled for the afternoon, so I wanted to get him out and let him get some energy out. The dogs, too, were in need of some energy-draining. I haven't been keeping up nearly so well on their exercise this week as I really need to.

Hoss was in a good mood and wanting to get moving right away. I contained him for the obligatory half mile warm up before we turned into the main trails and I let him start trotting. We set a pretty good clip until we got to the single track. Since it's pretty torn up from the rains, it's not safe to trot on for much of its length.

When we reached the turn off, with a choice to go the short way or go around for the longer distance, Hoss was perfectly happy to go the long way. The long way means a good run! We started trotting up the lower end of the hill. Hoss went at it with a will, no need for me to push him. We turned the corner to the upper half of the hill, and we were off in a good canter. I was able to keep him going in a full canter all the way to the top.

At the top, I slowed Hoss to a walk and looked back for the dogs. They were pretty far back, but coming on gamely enough. I had taken them out for a quick two mile run with the mountain bike before the trail ride, just to take the edge off. It worked. Not nearly so much trouble with dogs bounding off!

We walked much of the top section, letting the dogs catch their breath and cool off a bit. It would be a mile or two more before we reached water. Hoss wanted to go faster, but I really didn't feel the need to go faster, and since it was hot, I didn't want him overdoing it.

We made our way back down the back side. There is a beautiful spot under some trees with a nice little stream running through it. It makes a great place to spell the dogs. We stopped there for about five minutes to let the dogs drink and cool off. Hoss took a few bites of the grass, but he wasn't very interested. He really wanted to keep moving.

Once the dogs had cooled off and slaked their thirst, they were quite ready to get moving again. We got back on the trail. Shortly after this stopping place, the trail flattens out enough to trot, so we picked up a very nice clip.

At the next water crossing, Hoss wasn't real thrilled with the current condition of the ground. I wasn't impressed by it, either. I could see he would have to step down into deep, squishy mud, and he doesn't like that. Still, I knew it wasn't horribly deep, so I got out my crop and told him he would be fine, it wasn't that bad. He slowly stuck one foot down into it. I told him good boy, and he crossed without further objection. How much of his willingness was due to the whip in my hand I can't be sure. He's very rarely given me a problem at this crossing.

When we got to the long flat trail, Hoss was pulling to get going. I kept him to a trot until we got to firmer footing, then quite deliberately asked him for the left lead. I managed to get him to take it on the first try!

We got to a short hill, and slowed to a walk, letting the dogs catch up and Hoss catch his breath a little. Then I asked him for the right lead. Again, he gave it smoothly. I'm very pleased with the fact that I was able to get him to do that!

After our lovely canter, we trotted and walked most of the rest of the way in. There is a water trough about 3/4s of a mile from the trailer parking the dogs like to get a drink in. I stopped and let them get a good drink and cool down. Mac had run ahead, and when we caught up to him, he was in the trough! When he got out, Jazz got in. After a few minutes, with Hoss pulling at me (c'mon, Mom, let's go!) we started walking again. After we'd made fifty yards, I looked back and realized Jazz hadn't gotten out of the trough yet! She didn't let us get too far ahead before she hopped out, shook herself off, and caught up to us.

Hoss was pulling to go faster, and after a few strides I said what the heck and let him get in some more cantering. He was surely a happy guy on this ride!

After our ride, I took the dogs home and let Hoss out into the pasture for a good drink before we headed out for our lesson

There's nothing to really say about our lesson, except we have a lot to work on, and I feel like we made some really good progress. Now I just have to practice what we learned between now and next week's lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment