Saturday, June 4, 2011

Conditioning Ride 6-3-2011

HR: 36

HRR: 48

HR 10 min: 40

Miles: 5.75

Avg Speed: 4.1mph

Time: 1hr, 21min

I didn't have much time at the end of a long work day (well, shorter than I used to do, but I'm out of shoeing shape), so I planned a fast one at Hollenbeck. I needed to be at church by 7:30 for a concert. The director of the church's choir (which I sing with) also has a volunteer orchestra. We were performing together. It was definitely something I needed to be on time for.

Having gotten our Easyboot back, I put Hoss's boots on so that he'd be able to do a fast ride. That Easyboot is a challenge to get on. It's definitely not a boot type I would stick with. The Gloves are challenge enough. While hooking up the gaiter on one of the front Gloves, I accidentally ripped off the section of hook and loop that goes over the top. I quickly discovered this meant the gaiter would not stay secured. I wound up running sports tape around it several times to keep it on. I don't think the boot would have popped off without the gaiter, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Once at Hollenbeck, I quickly dusted Hoss off and saddled him up. When we hit the trail, he was eager to move out. I made him stay at a walk for half a mile of warm up before we crossed the stream and I let him into a trot. He quickly picked up that he was in the boots, and moved out at a respectable gait.

Not far in to our ride, it looked to me like Hoss had a slight head bob on his right front. Sitting the trot, he felt perfect, but there was just the slightest suggestion that he was off in his head position. He didn't want to slow down, so I let him continue and remained vigilant for signs of problems.

Hoss was fine at the walk, and after some trotting, the head bob went away. After the single track, we trotted some more, and turned down the hill back to the flat area. Down the hill, Hoss did start to feel a little off. I got off, checked his leg, and even removed his boot to check it for rocks. I found nothing to account for the problem. He was annoyed with me for stopping him, and when I got back on, he hardly gave me a chance to get both feet in the stirrups before he was taking off.

When we got to the flat trail, Hoss was all about getting in a good gallop. He picked up a nice canter, and moved out smoothly. We had to slow down a couple of times for trickier sections, but for the most part he cantered all the way to the turn back toward the parking area.

We trotted as far as we could, then walked much of the rest of the way back. Having lost the Easyboot in the muddier water crossing, we walked back to the usual crossing.

When we got back to the trailer, I dismounted and immediately noticed the Easyboot was gone. Again. I didn't have time to go back out and search for it. I will have to search for it later, and hope nobody who wants to keep it finds it first! But, like I said before, I'm not exactly keen on this boot type. If it's gone forever, it's not the end of the world.

Between all the boot mishaps and unexpected trailer tire and dog expenses, I will be putting a pair of shoes on Hoss's hind feet for the Descanso ride. Provided we go. I left the front boots on Hoss overnight, and trotted him out this morning to see if there was any sign of lameness. He trotted clean, and was throwing his head about as if he were an Arabian. So he appears to feel just fine. Still, I want to get another long ride in before I commit to the ride, to be sure he's not developing some lameness issue. It's entirely possible what I was noticing was footsoreness that had not been addressed yet by the boots. I should know soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment