Thursday, March 3, 2011

One Last Ride

I'm burning the midnight oil trying to get my blog current before my surgery in the morning. There has been so much to get done! I'm surprised I've gotten this far. I should be in bed, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. So long as I get up on time and get the morning chores done, all will be well. I'll get plenty of sleep in the coming days!

Since our return from Eastern Mojave a week and a half ago, I feel like I've been up to my eyeballs in Stuff That Must Be Done Before Surgery. There've been horses to shoe, the trash to take to the dump, the dogs to exercise, the list goes on forever. And, no, I'm not really done. There's quite a pile of dishes in the sink, and I haven't cracked open the box of camping dishes to wash yet, either. Well, now it's probably not going to get done. I can think of worse things.

One thing that hasn't been done that is waiting until the last possible second is fitting Hoss for hind boots. I have the fit kit sitting on the kitchen table. It arrived while we were at Eastern Mojave. And yet, I haven't found the time to use it. I kept expecting to have time in the afternoons after I'd worked. But that didn't really happen. On Saturday, it rained most of the day, then snowed! So Saturday was out. Because of the whole keeping the dogs exercised thing, I tended to choose to ride over fitting the boots. This week, I've gotten home too late every day to do anything about it. At this point, the plan is to fit him in the morning after our walk.

I took the opportunity to ride twice since Eastern Mojave. The first time we just went around the block. I had made the dump run – by myself for the first time, thank you – and gotten back with just enough daylight to squeeze in a quick ride. I thought this would be a fairly quick ride, because I expected the two older dogs not to be interested. Well, they were interested! I kept the ride as slow as I reasonably could so they could keep up. As it was, we had to wait at the top of the hill for them. By the time we turned the corner to head home, the air was getting crisp and the sky was darkening. The storm was moving in and the sun was setting.

Snow doesn't last long around here. When I got up Sunday morning, it was a winter wonder land. In some places, the snow must have been close to three inches deep. My truck was certainly thick with it! I wasn't sure I was going to make it to church in those conditions. But the day had dawned with nary a cloud in the sky, and warmed up quickly. By the time I wanted to leave, the roads had defrosted enough to safely drive on.

When I got back from church, I thought I'd better take the chance to go for a ride. I hooked up the trailer, loaded "Team Fluffy" and Hoss, and we went to Hollenbeck Canyon. It was already getting late in the day. I didn't have a whole lot of daylight left. It was a race against sunset, and we took up the challenge!

Hoss wanted to move out, but kinda sorta not really. So I had to push a little more than usual. Okay, so he did 150 miles a week ago. He'll live! He needed the exercise and so did the dogs. Hoss would have spent less time trotting had I allowed him. He was happy to slow down when we got to the steep downhill, but by the time we reached the bottom and the long flat, he was eager to get going. I let him canter some, but did make him change leads. Don't want him to get to favoring one too much. I let him really fly when we rounded the corner and headed uphill just slightly, then pushed him to make it to the top. The dogs were thrilled to be going fast!

A coyote started barking not far off the trail. Fortunately I've got the dogs well conditioned not to respond to the coyotes. This one clearly has had some luck baiting dogs for its dinner! I picked up the trot again to get us away from that critter. I have, in the past, looked back to check for my dogs only to find a coyote following them!

We got home before it got so dark I couldn't put the trailer away, but I did bring it up and open the round pen rather than try to back it in the whole way. Takes a little less time and is somewhat more reliable. It was full dark by the time Hoss was put away and fed. I fed the dogs and prepared for the week that followed, which has been an adventure.

I won't know how long it will take me to recover until after the surgery. It's one of those times when the surgeon really isn't positive what he'll have to do. Worst case is four weeks in a sling and four to six months rehabilitation. That one is a little daunting. I'm a little unclear on what this will entail as to when I'll be able to work and ride again. I'm hoping for the simpler procedure, with two weeks in a sling and go back to normal activity. Everybody keep your fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Valerie, we'll be praying for your speedy 2-week recovery so that you can get back quickly to doing both what you love and what you're great at!

    ReplyDelete