Thursday, December 2, 2010

Conditioning Ride 11-16-2010

HR: 40

HR on Return: 60

HR at 10 min: 40

Miles: 7.34

Average Speed: 3.7mph

Time: 2 hours

On this day we all went down to the steel bridge for a good slow trail ride over the hills. Once again I had to keep an eye out for Jazz. The staging area is right next to the highway, so I was concerned she'd run out on the road. Fortunately she once again took her cue from my dogs and didn't go near the highway. She may not have much "trail" sense, but she's savvy enough to follow the lead of more experienced pack members.

My original plan had been to cross under the bridge and ride the hills on the other side of the highway. However, after we'd crossed the bridge, I realized the water level in the river was alarmingly high. Hoss certainly could have crossed, but I felt it wasn't worth attempting. He's still learning to cross water confidently, and I was worried the water was so deep the dogs would be forced to swim. I really didn't want to have Jazz forced to swim when I would be in no position to help her if she got swept away. So we stuck with the hills on the same side of the road.

Hoss was more willing to walk, although he asked several times if he could speed up. I gently said no, and he continued to walk nicely. I saw quite a few deer tracks on this ride. Since the 2007 fires, it's clear they're starting to repopulate the area. This means the mountain lions will be around, too. So far, I've only ever seen mountain lion tracks one time.

When we crossed the river, the dogs all got a good drink. Hoss wanted to stop and eat grass and lick the dead tree limbs in the river. I got him across and once the dogs all caught up, I let him have a run before we went up the hills on our left.

At one point, some small creature started making a distress call, which caught the attention of Mac and Jazz. Mac fairly quickly realized he wasn't going to be able to root whatever it was out and left it. Jazz, on the other hand, still has a ways to go on realizing when something is attainable and when it isn't. I was just beginning to think I'd have to get off and go back and force her to come on when she finally gave it up as a bad job. Having watched her spend half an hour trying to dig up a bunny, and spend a few days convinced something was hiding in the dead tree stump, I consider this major progress.

It was nice to actually get a slow trail ride. While we didn't get as many miles as I would have hoped, it was relaxing and low stress. Hoss's recoveries are also getting better, which is the whole goal here.

No comments:

Post a Comment