Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fast at Hollenbeck (Again)


RHR: 36



HR on Return: 56



Distance: 8 miles



Average Speed: 6 mph



Time: 1 hour, 25 min



I'm beginning to feel like we do the same things over and over again. It's not that I mind so much, it just doesn't make for good blog fodder. The reason I use the same trails so frequently is because I like to take the big dogs with me so they get some much-needed exercise, too. There are not many dog-friendly trail areas around here.



It was yet another uneventful ride at Hollenbeck. It's a pleasant area to ride in, though. Once we crossed the cowboy gate, Hoss was ready to go. I let him start trotting pretty much right off. It really didn't seem like I'd have much luck if I didn't! He'd had three days since our last ride, so he was feeling pretty peppy. He trotted over many spots that he would normally have slowed down for, and wanted to canter quite frequently. The water crossings were fun. He always wants to put his nose down like he's getting a drink, but what he's really doing is looking for something to eat. It also puts me in the position of loosening my reins, a position in which he can take advantage and not walk through the middle of the water where I want him to go. So, especially early in a ride, I've taken to not allowing him to drop his head to the ground. By this point, I figure he knows what the crossing is like and should just step in. He could, and after Manzanita I'm sure he would, but he wants every opportunity to snatch at some exotic-looking plant he can get. So slowing down and trying to convince me he needs a drink and/or wants a good look at that water is the way he wants to do things.



On the flat, he wanted to canter. I let him go for quite a way. I even let him canter around a tight, nearly 180 degree turn that I would normally make him trot or walk. He cantered all the way around and up until I slowed him to a walk to go between the hills on a narrow, somewhat rocky trail. We got to the wide trails and I got him trotting down really good. He trotted and cantered all the way back until we were within half a mile of the trailer, when I slowed him to a walk. He still wanted to go faster, but I successfully kept him down.

Upon return to the trailer, his heart rate was at 56. As I've stated before, having this happen so soon after changing strategy doesn't mean it's working quite so remarkably so quickly. Still, it is reinforcing to have this sort of thing happen. I like it. I hope it continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment